Author Topic: Harley Big Twin Shifter Shaft Seals  (Read 705 times)

Offline Bassman

• Bassman
  • Administrator
  • Miles: 11
  • Chapter: Southeastern, WV (Kanawha Valley)
Harley Big Twin Shifter Shaft Seals
« on: April 20, 2013, 11:45:12 PM »
I have a 2001 Dyna and the Harley seals are crap (in my opinion).

The below seals replace Harley seal 12045

I found an SKF seal that's much better.
SKF4260 is the part number.
At applied industrial the item Number is: 149011
**They are a little thicker than the stock Harley seal, but I got the washer and snap ring on with no problems***

Cometic also makes a seal that I have been told is better than Harley's.
Part number: OSO41

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 05:40:16 PM by Bassman »
Bassman
National Road Captain & Scout
Brothers Of The Wheel M.C.
BOTW-KVC@suddenlink.net

Offline Bassman

• Bassman
  • Administrator
Re: Harley Big Twin Shifter Shaft Seals
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 09:31:59 AM »
I have over 8000 miles on the bike now with the SKF4260 shifter shaft seal and no leaks (knock on wood)  :)
I've had the bike since 2006 and seals replaced (I believe three times)
This is the first time no leaks (it usually started leaking after a thousand miles or so...
Ride Safe,
Bassman
Bassman
BOTW-KVC@suddenlink.net

charles

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 11:40:25 AM »
 Speaking about seals,while I had this ultra tore all the way down,I decided to replace the 2 transmission main shaft seals,partly because of the auto chain tentioner situation. I installed the small center seal and was completely unsatisfied with how loose the seal fit in the outer diameter the seal fits into.I went an got another seal,cleaned the surface with acetone used a q-tip to put red locktite on the seal recess an the seal and installed with the seal tool.I also used red locktite on the larger outer seal ,it didnt seem to fit tight enough eather.Ive installed seals in dump trucks.cars,pickups & ect... many years an those are the 2 loosest fitting seals Ive seen.

Offline Bassman

• Bassman
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 09:14:37 AM »
Yeah, my shifter shaft seal wasn't tight either. As a matter of fact, I just shoved it in the tranny with my fingers.
I put the seal in and put permatex black on the outside of the seal, installed the washer and snap ring, let it sit over night.
Finished the job the next morning, so far still no leaks.
I think it has about 15,000 miles since the repair.
Bassman
BOTW-KVC@suddenlink.net

charles

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 03:28:52 PM »
 I keep permatex black #2 around (the red #1 is junk) it doesnt get hard an flake off,after operateing tempature a time or 2 it sets an stays plyable,I use it on gaskets an seals that fit so they dont seep oil.Another good sealer is high tack ,use to seal VW engine blocks (they split like harleys an no gasket) clean both surfaces an apply to both engine block edges let set a few minutes then put together,didnt leak. I use starting fluid to clean often, hard to get to places,an places that dont need scrubed,it cuts every bit of oil off.The large/tall cans of WD40 that has the fold down straw on it,the spray top off of the WD40 fits the starting fluid can,imagine the places you can get into with that.perfect for checking intake leaks from the air cleaner side with the engine COLD an be aware of fire jumping spark plug wires it could get exciteing.That oil filter mess when changeing oil,starting fluid an its gone.I put a S & S jug kit on my bike,it came with multi layer steel head gaskets,(not made like stock head gaskets) cometic type,I choose not to use harleys BS torque method of turn 90 degrees an hope its torqued evenly an doesnt leak.I found a torque procedure for( cometic )type head gaskets,check both head surfaces an gaskets for dirt an ect..check gaskets for proper fit of cylinder an head,set the head on an see where the gasket rivets set are they interfearing with the head setting down correctly,oil all threads an nut surfaces ,follow the torque sequence 1234 in the book ,this  is in steps and FOOT POUNDS first 9 foot pounds all bolts, then 14 foot pounds all bolts,then 22 ,then 35 ,then 42 ,in a few minutes recheck all bolts at 42.

charles

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 03:35:39 PM »
I keep permatex black #2 around (the red #1 is junk) it doesnt get hard an flake off,after operateing tempature a time or 2 it sets an stays plyable,I use it on gaskets an seals that fit so they dont seep oil.Another good sealer is high tack ,use to seal VW engine blocks (they split like harleys an no gasket) clean both surfaces an apply to both engine block edges let set a few minutes then put together,didnt leak. I use starting fluid to clean often, hard to get to places,an places that dont need scrubed,it cuts every bit of oil off.The large/tall cans of WD40 that has the fold down straw on it,the spray top off of the WD40 fits the starting fluid can,imagine the places you can get into with that.perfect for checking intake leaks from the air cleaner side with the engine COLD an be aware of fire jumping spark plug wires it could get exciteing.That oil filter mess when changeing oil,starting fluid an its gone.I put a S & S jug kit on my bike,it came with multi layer steel head gaskets,(not made like stock head gaskets) cometic type,I choose not to use harleys BS torque method of turn 90 degrees an hope its torqued evenly an doesnt leak.I found a torque procedure for( cometic )type head gaskets,check both head surfaces an gaskets for dirt an ect..check gaskets for proper fit of cylinder an head,set the head on an see where the gasket rivets set are they interfearing with the head setting down correctly,oil all threads an nut surfaces ,follow the torque sequence 1234 in the book ,this  is in steps and FOOT POUNDS first 9 foot pounds all bolts, then 14 foot pounds all bolts,then 22 ,then 35 ,then 42 ,in a few minutes recheck all bolts at 42.
  By the way I put the screaming eagle head studs in mine,dont forget the balls that go in the engine block before the studs are screwed in.