Author Topic: add a grease fiting to the shift linkage on a touring bike  (Read 563 times)

Offline nubnwv

• <10
  • Miles: 1
  • Chapter: northern WV
last week it was pointed out to me that the shift linkage on dawns street glide was lose. looked at my older 2000 flhtr and noticed that the previous owner had drilled and taped a grease fitting in it.  looks like I'm gona have to upgrade the 06 .

Offline admin

• BOTW MC Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Miles: 22
  • BOTW MC
  • Chapter: Website Administrator
Re: add a grease fiting to the shift linkage on a touring bike
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 01:46:48 PM »
The ziptie holding my linkage together has about 12,000 miles on it. I think I got about 16,000 miles out of the last ziptie before I replaced it with this one.

Offline nubnwv

• <10
  • Miles: 1
  • Chapter: northern WV
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 09:23:37 AM »
there is always zip ties in my sadel bags. there like duck tap

charles

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 09:56:15 AM »
  Theres a easier way to keep the brake, shifter an kick stand pivit pins lubericated ,I keep 80-90 gear oil in my squart can an pull whitch ever to one side a couple drops in the slack side then the other side work it a few times then put a couple more in each side an work it.Wipe the excess off an ride before washing,the heat an vibration will help it soak an move to the inside.Gear oil has EP (extream pressure additives) (anti ware) an stays wet much longer than motor oil an ect...Thats why I mix gear oil in grease gun grease to pack bearings, the EP an an it keeps the grease wet much longer and flows toward the heat better.Several years ago they stoped useing grease gun grease to pack wheel bearings on dump trucks front axel,tractor trailors and the trailors and ect...you will see a rubber plug in the center of the hub or pipe plugs on the hubs cap to add gear oil.