Author Topic: Dark Horse Crankworks  (Read 408 times)

Charles

Dark Horse Crankworks
« on: December 02, 2015, 12:59:35 PM »
  I sent my crank and block to them,there duel balanced crank and weld job and there competition rods (H-beam type) (there rods work with the S&S 106 jug kit 3.927 bore,with no boreing block ,has heavy sleeves built out into the jug) The stock 96 rods are tapered down threw the wrist pin hole (V-shaped) ,leaveing a smaller amount of metal around the outside of the of the rod wrist pin hole,that is a weak spot the way I see it. I had the timken bearings installed and the bearing lock installed in the cam side of the engine block.(Dont use stock spacer behind conpensator,USE SPACER THEY SEND YOU ! ) I noticed one of my lifter bores was a little loose on the lifter at tear down (36,000 at tear down) Dark horse welded a lifter sleeve in,there is also over sized lifters to correct that problem,I believe fueling is one that makes them. I had dark horse to set up the crank in the block (block was together and ready when I got it ) they set it up on 3 thousandths .003 bearing clearence .I masked it all off when I got it back (very easy to do a good job with a good sharp razor blade around the out side of gasket surfaces holding tape with other hand an on a angle to the gasket edge with blade) an resprayed the whole block (washed down with acetone first)with harley texter engine paint to make it match the transmission I already painted. I used the chrome harley (metal) bolt head caps on the engine block bolts after painting. I could have replaced the bolts, if I wanted the block to leak oil,or masked them off,chrome looks better,put them on transmission bolts to.Some may not know this,a 96 is already a stroker from the factory. I put a 585 L. crane cam 0-5000 rpm an a revolution performance piggy back box (wide 02) (send in harley ems to calibrate) .I beleive it will be a strong crusier,if I ever get the @#(*(@^#### ing paint straightened out ! LOLOL . Another option........

Charles

Re: Dark Horse Crankworks
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 01:06:40 PM »
  I used the S&S premium LIMITED TRAVEL lifters in this engine,one and a half turns off the bottom adjustment (from bottomed out) a little easier starts with no leaking off.