Author Topic: Do you value your backside ?  (Read 460 times)

Charles

Do you value your backside ?
« on: December 13, 2015, 02:02:04 PM »
  Some of you may not know about the so called harley death wobble (rear wheel),theres several youtube videos.I bought a wrecked 08 ultra,tried it out on my short street,before I tore it down, as I swung wide to turn,I could feel the rear wheel shift side ways as it went down over the edge of the hard top.This shifting side to side is the problem,has wrecked several,going into an out of curves and sometimes on the straight.The engine,transmission an rear swing are (when assembled) all work as 1 piece and aligning the rear wheel at the same time,the engine torque pulling the engine under load,the belt also pulling and the rear wheel doing its thing,all under force and being stableized by 2 cheap rubber bushings at the swing arm pivet pin and 2 small adjusters at the front of the engine. (It seems the buell has a 3rd.adjuster/3rd.link ?) There are several harleys that have this PROBLEM. + and/or - 08 ultras to name one . I bought the glide pro rear swing arm rubber bushings that included the front motor support B2-305 from glide pro (youtube video),there was no slack after install,like there is with all the HD bushings.Then I took it a step ferther with true track (youtube video) it bolts to the back of the oil pan and to the frame cross member and has a adjustable link like on the front of the engine,but I bought it threw JP cycle cheaper,listed different(under fbi) but same #702-510 (08 ultra classic) this one is the low rider style,doesnt set down as far.I used lasers and string wraped around the rear tire to the front tied to nails in the floor and adjusted to touch both edges of the rear tire to align mine.It may go easier if you first set a level aginst the right side END end of the axel (straight up an down) and the rotor also and MAKE SURE THE FRONT AXEL AND ROTOR BOTH ARE ON 90 DEGREES FIRST ,AND THAT IT STAYS THERE. You guys decide what your backside is worth to you after you watch the death wobble on youtube,me ?,I would rather go down from a jello shooter,LOL

charles

Re: Do you value your backside ?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 12:25:06 PM »
Some of you may think after installing the glide pro bushings, I really didnt need to install the true track ? Try this,take 1 bolt out of each front engine adjustable link,and the front motor support bolt out,set a small jack under the engine and just pick  the weight up off the frame at the front motor support. Take a piece of wood or ect.. wrap it a few times with a rag so it doesnt scratch any thing,put it between the engine and the frame down next to the front motor support and pry the frame away from the engine , from side to side,it takes VERY VERY LITTLE effort to spring the 2 front frame down tubes side ways at the front motor support.Now that you know when its bolted down the front frame tubes still flex side to side allowing the rear wheel to move side to side piviting on the the swing arm bushings any time force tries to push the rear wheel side ways, leaning,weight of the bike an ect... (remember,weight in motion has more force than just the weight) Think of it this way,if you set the board of a teetertotter/seesaw level and tie one end to the ground with a rope(springing frame tubes),it will still move from the ground up to where the rope stops it at level,adding the true track is like tieing the other end of the seesaw that pivits on the swing arm bushings.Greaseing the neck bearings and adjusting the neck/front wheel swing (clutch cable remover from the inter fairing) makes a difference to.

charles

Re: Do you value your backside ?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 12:06:45 PM »
If you take the adjuster bolts and motor support bolt out to do the test above ? Dont loosen the front motor guard/crash bar mounting bolts,then,it will really show you.The crash bar has 1 bolt each side at the bottom of the frame and 1 bolt at the top of the crash bar that allows it to pivit side to side on the top bolt under force,not to mention the amount of spring in the bar its self. Maybe now you are AWARE ,better to know,than not.....