Author Topic: ABS plastic repair  (Read 455 times)

charles

ABS plastic repair
« on: January 10, 2016, 12:35:13 PM »
In other words plastic batwing,inter fairing,side covers and saddle bags and they are all ABS type plastic.I had a saddle bag ate deep on the bottom rear and the lid was ate you might as well say threw on the lip edge.I fixed both places 2-3 layers drying an sanding between coats and it seemed to work very well. PLASTI-MEND dot com ,I bought the (plasti-mend black emergency kit) 38.33 code#PMBEM and under supplies I also got the small can of thinner (code#PMT16) 10.38 to go with the kit,the directions will tell you why.Make sure you get the BLACK,they sell 3 types for different plastics. The emergency kit has pieces of plastic and plastic screen with it that you could fix a rip or ground all the way threw place.I put it on appx.1/8" deep at a time,it melts into the plastic,so too much at a time could cause warping. I used it and it works. I used house of kolor KD3000 primer(from kolor house) (Raw plastic has to be primed (after sanding) with a primer that works with plastic) comes in a few colors and requires Hardener/Activator(KDA3000). 2 parts thinner its a sealer allow drying and paint without sanding within the time frame,1 part thinner (medium build primer)allow complete drying and sand before paint, NO thinner (High Build primer) dry completely and sand,block ect.. an paint,also works on metal and old paint.

charles

Re: ABS plastic repair
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 10:44:52 AM »
 There may be another way to repair the plastic,I was reading you can take a old PLASTIC saddle bag or ect...after removeing all paint an primer an grind off (rough disc or rough sand sand paper on a drill (lower speed) high speed grinder tends to melt more than grind small pieces/sanding dust/fileings ect...) gring over a box to catch the grinded plastic.Put the plastic in a GLASS JAR with a good sealing lid,(add a FEW DROPS of ACETONE) it wont take whole lot of acetone,let it desolve over nite ect... Add more plastic (allow it time to melt)to make thicker an obviously acetome to thin,When you get it all melted and THE THICKNESS OF HONEY OR A LITTLE THICKER its ready to use ,remember only thin coats at a time allow to dry and sand before the next coat.I used a 4" rubber sanding block to keep leveling 180 grit DRY,then finer paper obviously to finish.You can also use lacquer thinner just DONT get the rusto. brand .Advance has both acetone an lacquer and maybe the best price. I havent tried this,but,its another option.When you add up the price of new bags or ect... and the primer,paint,sand paper,activator for paint an ect.. and maybe some one to do the work for you,its not exactly cheap.As easy as the plasti-mend is to use,I'll just use it.